Do Teeth Whitening Strips Damage Your Teeth?
Nowadays, many people are concerned with how their teeth look in public. There are many benefits to doing so. With white teeth, you start to feel more confident, your self-esteem increases and physically you look a million dollars! White teeth play a key role in how you feel about yourself, and modern dentistry has progressed so much that many check themselves in for professional teeth whitening treatment.
On the other hand, you may have seen many teeth whitening strip products advertised from drug stores. The popularity has meant people are using the strips to whiten teeth. However, you must be aware of the damaging impact that they can have. Using strips from drug stores without understanding the impact on your teeth can degrade your oral health severely.
How Do Whitening Strips Work?
Teeth whitening strips typically contain peroxide or bleach to transform the color of your teeth to restore your natural whiteness. The plastic material of the strips is usually coated with peroxide. The strips are applied to teeth as per directions, so your enamel contracts the peroxide. It should press against your teeth gently. This helps remove any stubborn stains or discoloration from the teeth’s surface. Each strip can be used for a maximum of two weeks, some longer than others.
Are They Dangerous To Your Oral Health?
The danger of whitening strips is that most products don’t contain product information. This means you’re using hidden chemicals to perform the “magic” on your teeth. Your teeth are made of three layers:
- The outer protective tooth enamel
- The dentin layer containing sources of collagen
- The connective tissue
The peroxide ingredient used within whitening strips could be hurting the dentin layer. With the rich-collagen in the dentin, repeated use of strips actually damages the dentin. Collagen is rich with protein, which is expected to break down into smaller fragments and disappear. This leads to permanent damage to the dentin and enamel and cannot be repaired.
The sensitivity of your teeth will continue to increase, which can be reduced by fluoride-containing toothpaste.
Tips For Clean And Healthy Teeth
Take manual steps in looking after your teeth. Here are some tips to consider:
- Get Your Teeth Whitened Professionally – If you want your teeth to look shiny, it is always recommended to get them whitened professionally by an experienced dentist. There is no danger to this. However, follow these next steps and your teeth will shine brightly for years to come.
- Maintain A Balanced Diet – Do not keep to a diet containing dark and chewy solids or liquids such as regular alcohol or fruit juices. Incorporate water, vegetables and fruits.
- Brush and Floss Daily – Brushing and flossing is the basic yet most essential step of your routine. Especially after a heavy meal, do leave stains standing within your teeth and keep them clear.
Click here to read more information on the good and bad points of teeth whitening.
Docklands Dentist is experienced in acting swiftly to transform your smile and your life. If you’re interested in changing your smile, we want to know about it. Contact us now for immediate assistance.